Why are Delano Public Schools a District of Choice?
Delano Public Schools, established in the 1800’s, covers a 66-square-mile geographic area that extends to the communities of Corcoran, Independence, Loretto, Maple Plain, Medina, Minnetrista, Montrose, Watertown, parts of Franklin, Rockford and Woodland townships, and the city of Delano.
Our school district has a student population of approximately 2300 students and employs more than 350 staff members. 66% of our faculty hold a master’s degree or higher. In addition, a teacher mentorship program and peer coaching program supports new staff at each school.
Delano Public Schools, which operates according to its mission, “Educational Excellence is our Foremost Goal,” embarked on improving our mission and values by implementing the district’s current 5-Year Strategic Plan.
5 Year Strategic Plan
Delano Public Schools facilitated a Strategic Planning process beginning in April of 2013 that included feedback from our employees, parents and greater Delano Public School communities. The process was completed in June of 2013, and the Delano Board of Education acted on this plan in July. Our purpose in developing a strategic plan is to focus on a clearly articulated vision, “Systemic academic growth to promote educational excellence and continuous improvement for every learner in a digital society.” Along with this vision, we have established four major benchmarks which include: Technology, Curriculum, Professional Development and Facilities. Each of these benchmarks contains specific short-term work plans that provide a vision, annual short-term goals, and specific action steps to meet those goals. This plan is an ongoing process that will insure that our school district remains and continues to improve upon the tradition of educational excellence. You can find additional information about Delano Schools 5-Year Strategic Plan at http://www.delano.k12.mn.us/district/superintendents-office/5-year-strategic-plan.
All three schools; Delano Elementary, Delano Middle and Delano High are located on one campus, with additional property adjacent to the current campus having been purchased for future school development. Just west of the campus, our early childhood programs are housed in the Delano Community Education building. Delano Public Schools also has multiple athletic facilities housed in and around the school campus and within the Tiger Activity Center, which is adjacent to Delano High School.
Awards and Recognitions
Delano Elementary School
- Designated a 2013 National Blue Ribbon School for educational excellence by the U.S. Department of Education. DES was one of only six Minnesota schools to receive this award.
- Designated a 2012 Reward School by the Minnesota Department of Education.
- Received Minnesota School of Excellence Award in 2008 from the Minnesota Elementary School Principals Association.
- Ranked a Minnesota Five Star School in 2006.
You can find additional information about Delano Elementary School at http://www.delano.k12.mn.us/elementary-school.
Delano Middle School
- In 2012, DMS received National Recognition for its Gateway to Technology (GTT) Program. This is the middle school program of Project Lead the Way, the nation’s leading provider of STEAM education.
- Designated a 2003 National Blue Ribbon School for educational excellence by the U.S. Department of Education.
You can find additional information about Delano Middle School at http://www.delano.k12.mn.us/middle-school.
Delano High School
- Designated a 2009 National Blue Ribbon School for educational excellence. DHS was one of only six schools in Minnesota to receive this award.
- In 2006, DHS received the Minnesota Academic Excellence Foundation School Spotlight Award.
- In 2007 and again in 2010, Delano High School was designated a Model School by the International Center for Leadership in Education.
- For several years, DHS has also been recognized as one of America’s Best High Schools from U.S. World News and Report and Newsweek magazines.
- DHS ranked a Minnesota Five Star School in Math and Reading.
You can find additional information about Delano High School at http://www.delano.k12.mn.us/high-school.
For several years, the Delano Public Schools district has received the Minnesota Department of Education’s School Finance Award for being a fiscally and financially responsible school district.
- In Math, Delano students performed in the top 1% of school districts in the state, with only three schools scoring higher on the MCA Math tests.
- In Reading, Delano students performed in the top 3% of school districts in the state, with only nine schools scoring higher on the MCA Reading tests.
Delano’s average ACT test score was 24.2 during the 2013-14 school year, making Delano one of the top schools academically in the nation. As a whole, Minnesota continues as the nation’s leader in ACT test scores.
Delano’s Community Education program provides a wide range of educational opportunities for all ages that encourage life-long learning. District 879 offers Adult Basic Education, College and Vocational classes, Enrichment classes for all ages, Year Round Indoor and Outdoor Recreation, Senior Citizen Programs, Youth Development and Service Programs, Open School Facilities for Community Use, Active Advisory Council, Early Childhood Family Education and Preschool, and year round child care at Tiger Kids Club. You can find additional information about individual classes and opportunities at http://delano.registryinsight.com/.