The Mission of Delano Community Education
The Mission of District 879 Community Education is to encourage, assist and engage district residents of all ages and abilities in their pursuit of lifelong learning.
|Director||Diane Johnson||140 Elm Ave., Delano||763-972-6210 Press 6|
|Youth Development Coordinator||Carley Boll||700 Elm Ave., Delano||763-972-3365 ext. 2137|
|Early Childhood Family Education Coordinator||Jane Shaffer||140 Elm Ave., Delano||763-972-6210 Press 4|
|Tiger Kids Club Coordinator||Becca Seiberlich||140 Elm Ave., Delano||763-972-6210 Press 3|
|Tiger Activity Center / Facilities / Aquatics||Julie Strobl||700 Elm Ave., Delano||763-972-3365 ext. 2110|
|Administrative Assistant||Sarah Kennedy||140 Elm Ave., Delano||763-972-6210 Press 1|
Goals of Community Education
To promote the maximum use of school and community resources and facilities for the provision of classes, activities, programs, and services.
- Encourage citizen involvement in community affairs through the development of a strong representative community education advisory council and other processes that involve community members in community development and problem solving.
- Provide for balanced programs serving all segments of the community.
- Identify and use available community resources to meet the need and interests of individual groups.
- Promote the coordination and the sharing of resources among various agencies and groups in the community to avoid unnecessary duplication and to ensure a more equitable delivery of services.
COMMUNITY EDUCATION HIGHLIGHTS
- Enrichment Classes and Events for All Ages
- Year Round Indoor and Outdoor Recreation
- Trips and Tours
- Senior Citizen Programs
- Youth Development and Service
- Open School Facilities for Community Use – including use of the Delano Tiger Activity Center which includes basketball and volleyball courts, an indoor elevated walking track, community weight room, aerobics room, and a community meeting room
- Active Advisory Council
- Community Education Preschool - Wee Tiger Preschool
- School Age Child Care - Tiger Kids Club
- Adult Basic Education, including GED classes and assistance with Basic Math, Spelling, Reading, Job Skills, and English as a second Language.
Early Childhood Family Education (ECFE)
ECFE serves children birth to age five AND their parents. Recognizing that the home is the first learning environment, these quality programs teach parents how to educate and interact with their children. ECFE gives children a head start, identifies current or potential learning problems, and helps buid strong families that are vital to children's learning during school years.
- Parent-Child Classes
- Family Activities and Field Trips
- Parents Library and Resources
- Learning Materials & Resources for Children
- Kindergarten Countdown Classes
- Learner Readiness Program
- Advisory Council with Parent Participation
Tiger Kids Club (TKC)
Tiger Kids Club is Delano School District 879's childcare program designed for children aged 3 years by September 1, through the completion of 4th grade. We provide quality childcare year-round, Monday through Friday from 6:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Each room is staffed by a qualified and caring lead teacher and aide. All staff is trained in CPR, First Aid and FUN! (Stahlke Bus provides transportation to and from the Community Education Center and the Elementary School).
- Before School Care- 6:30 a.m. -8:00 a.m.
- After School Care- 3:00 p.m. -6:00 p. m.
- "Tiger Cubs"- Tiger Kids Club Pre-K Program
- Wee' I'm 3 TKC Program
- Half-Day Kindergarten Program for students requiring childcare before or after Kindergarten class.
- Summer Program
Almost all ECFE classes, Tiger Kids Club and many Community Education classes and activities are held at the Delano Community Education located at 140 Elm Avenue, Delano .
For Specific Listings of Classes and Events, Consult the Community Education Catalog, Call the Community Education Office at 763-972-6210 OR GO ON LINE AT WWW.DELANOCOMMUNITYED.COM